Sunday, October 2, 2011

'Drive' - Our Generation's 'Pulp Fiction'

Okay, don't get mad at me. Many people will get straight up mad just hearing any film getting compared to Tarantino's masterpiece. I'll get to this comparison in a few. It's been three weeks this week since I first saw Nicolas Winding Refn's film; I also saw it again last week. Both times, I've been meaning to write a review about this film. I asked myself how I would go in on writing a review for this film? Do I rate it? Do I just talk about it? What do I do? Fuck it, I'll just try to talk you through this little piece of pulp masterpiece.

Let me explain to you the plot of the film: Ryan Gosling plays the role of 'Driver', (No joke, that's what he's billed as) a stunt driver for motion pictures. He also works at a garage for his pal Shannon ('Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston) and lives next to the beautiful Irene (played by the also beautiful Carey Mulligan). Nothing that special, right? Let me tell you this, then: Driver also works as a getaway driver for criminals. THAT'S the selling point. THAT'S what gets people excited about this movie.
It sounds good so far, right? Let me continue: The plot thickens when Irene's husband (played by Oscar Isaac) is back from prison and he's in some money problems with a gang. Shit. I forgot something. Hold on. A bit before that we meet Bernie and Nino (Albert Brooks and Ron Pearlman), two men trying to hire Driver for a racing job. Back to the money problem: Shit goes off. Trust me. It becomes ultra-violent once the first round of bullets is heard. You want an image? TOO BAD. Watch the movie. Here's a picture of Gosling after a very intense scene (those who saw this movie know what I'm talking about).
Let's get down to brass taxes, the film is violent. After forty to fifty minutes of expositions and awkward stares, we get hit with fucking action every four minutes. And blood. It's beautifully shot, the lack of edit sometimes makes it damn tense at points. The acting is phenomenal. ESPECIALLY ALBERT BROOKS. He's just straight up evil in this movie. The music and score is so catchy. I walked out of the theater humming the final song. So good. So now, why the comparison with 'Pulp Fiction'? It's violent and it's perfectly written, it's art-house and...... Shit, go and watch it. Just fucking trust me. I love this movie so damn much. Lex Guilar OUT.
AND A REAL HEROOOOOOOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment